So now we're counting down to THE COUNTDOWN (yeah, I just said that!), coming May 10, 2016!!!
THE ROAD TO PUBLICATION
Friday, August 28, 2015
Thursday, July 16, 2015
Hi and welcome to #YAThrillerHunt, a fun way for you to get to know some new authors! All you have to do is visit each author's Instagram page, follow them, and tag a friend.
Two winners will receive an autographed copy of EACH book featured in the graphic. This is U.S. only and we’ll draw two winners on July 18th. Here are the participating authors.
Lindsay Cummings: @authorlindsaycummings
Delilah Dawson: @delilahsdawson
Kimberly Derting: @kimberlyderting
S. E. Green: @segreenauthor
Ellen Hopkins: @ellenhopkinsauthor
Lynne Matson: @lsmatson
Victoria Scott: @victoriascottya
Lynn Weingarten: @lynnweingarten
Tuesday, May 19, 2015
#BooksArentDangerous is the brainchild of authors Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia, who in lieu of heading out on a costly tour to promote their new book DANGEROUS DECEPTION, opted instead to campaign to put books in the hands of kids-in-need.
But here's the deal, they need your help!
How, you ask?
Easy! Simply post a selfie to Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook of you with a book...any book, with the hashtag "Books Aren't Dangerous." Like this:
(See? Even someone over
But don't forget the hashtag. And the selfie. And the book. Help put books in the hands of these kids!
So get out there and post...only 7 days left, you guys!!!
Saturday, April 25, 2015
With Just 4 Days (4 DAYS!) until the release of THE REPLACED, there are a few things you guys should know:
1. If you’ve ordered your copy of THE REPLACED, just email me a copy (firstname.lastname@example.org) of your receipt—photo copy, screenshot, fake handwritten IOU (we’re pretty much on the honor system here), along with your mailing address and I’ll send you a signed bookplate and bookmark for your book. If you want your bookplate personalized, just let me know to whom! For signed books, you can always check with A Good Book Café in Sumner or The Sequel Books in Enumclaw, they generally have signed copies in stock or can talk me into coming in to sign them!
2. And speaking of signed books, I’ll be in a few places over the next few months if you’d like to come get yours signed in person. You can always find my full schedule here, but I’ll be in Tacoma, Dallas, the Portland area, and Seattle during May and June. And if you see me, be sure to ask me for one of these SUPERsweet buttons (because who doesn’t love buttons...amIright?). So I hope you come to one of these events because I totally want to share them with you!!!
3. And if you can’t make it out to see me, the next best thing is to check out THE BIG BLOG TOUR going around the interwebs! There are interviews, reviews of THE REPLACED, a really cool playlist, and someone even got a glimpse inside my purse. There’s also an awesome giveaway for an iPad mini, so check that out too!
4. And in case you want a sneak peek into THE REPLACED, you can get that over on the HarperTeen site...or like magic by just clicking here. Ta-da!
5. Lastly, you might not realize that sales during the first week of release are hugely important, so if you were planning to order your copy, what are you waiting for??? Also, reviews…if you love it, hate it…or choose to shred it for hamster bedding …reviews make the world go ‘round for an author. (Okay, that’s not true, coffee makes my world go ‘round, but reviews are pretty darn important!) So remember to post them--whether on Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes & Noble, or on your mom’s bathroom wall…just put them up where someone will read them!
I think that’s about it. If you have something to add, let me know in the comments section. Or if you just want to say, “Hey, Kim, I really like your hair,” you can tell me that too.
I always appreciate a well-placed hair compliment ;)
Happy Saturday, you guys!
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Monday, March 2, 2015
This week I thought it might be fun to do a post/conglomeration of fun YA images and articles! Here are a few of my favorites that any YA fanatic or avid reader will enjoy:
For Harry Potter fans:
For Hunger Games fans:
Hunger Games memes on pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/hunger-games-memes/
For Divergent fans:
A tank top we could all use:
And, finally, what most of our rooms look like on a good day:
I hope you enjoyed, and happy reading!
Monday, February 16, 2015
Getting to Know Your Characters
Sometimes plot can overtake your writing life. What's the biggest plot twist you can come up with? When should the inciting incident happen? Should you have a big fight scene at the end where everyone dies...but not really?
That's cool, you know, because plot is awesome.
But there are times when plot can overshadow character, and you don't want to sacrifice those characters in the process! A good character can write a plot all by his or herself. That's why it's always good to get to know your character as much as possible before you get started. Here are a few ways to do that:
1. Ask Her (or Him) Questions
What would your character say? This might sound insane, but asking them questions will help you get to know your protagonist! What's her favorite food? Her fondest memory? Soon you'll begin to compile moments in time that your character remembers and cherishes, which is awesome writing material.
2. Get Into Her Head
Try to dedicate a few minutes out of the day to really get into your character's head. Make a solid effort to see the world the way she sees it, and maybe that can help with your characterization. Thoughts translate to words, and if you try to sift through your character's thoughts, writing her will be so much easier!
3. Let Your Character Speak for His or Herself
While you are writing, make sure to let your protagonist speak for herself. It's easy for us to get in our own heads and stay there, but if you push yourself to keep your character's voice at the forefront of your mind, writing will be easier!
That's it--a few good ways to keep your protagonist at the front of your brain! Have fun getting to know your characters, and, as always, if you have tips or trick so of your own, post them below!